Teeth whitening is a dental procedure that gets rid of the stains from the surface of the teeth. This way, you can get a smile that is brighter, whiter, and aesthetically amazing. It is one of the simplest cosmetic dental procedures that help you get a better smile in a very less period of time. Moreover, you wouldn’t need any recovery time at all.
How do teeth get discolored?
- Most often, teeth stain as a result of improper brushing, which leaves a thin layer of microbes on the teeth called plaque. This leaves a yellowish or brownish appearance on them, which can often lead to a lot of embarrassment when you smile or talk to people.
- Another major culprit of teeth staining is the excessive consumption of colored foods. The outer structure of the teeth (enamel) is slightly porous in nature. Though these pores are microscopic, they can retain the coloring agents from the food you eat. This makes the teeth look stained.
- Apart from these major causes, teeth stain due to the ill effects of certain medication, gum infections, root canal infection, etc.
How do you get rid of the staining and get sparkly white teeth?
Teeth whitening can be done in several ways, out of which the most popular ones are conventional teeth whitening, whitening using custom trays, and laser teeth whitening.
- Conventional teeth whitening: It is the simplest means of getting whiter teeth. We make use of a whitening gel for this purpose which is rich in hydrogen peroxide. The gel will be applied to the teeth and spread evenly, after which it produces oxygen molecules. They penetrate the porous structure of the enamel and lighten its shade without altering its structure, whatsoever. The procedure can be repeated multiple times depending on the severity of discoloration and the level of whitening you’re expecting.
- Whitening using customized trays: For people who would like to stay at home and get their smile enhanced, customized whitening trays are the perfect option. However, you’ll have to visit our dental practice to get your trays, which we would fabricate to precision after getting a mold of your teeth. When you take them home, you’ll have to wear them for a few minutes at a time, along with a whitening gel that we prescribe. The trays prevent saliva from coming in contact with the gel, which improves its effectiveness.
- Laser teeth whitening: Laser teeth whitening is regarded as the most advanced one in comparison to its alternatives. The whitening gel used for this treatment will be activated using a laser. It then produces a foam that gets rid of the coloring agents from the teeth surface. Laser teeth whitening is the quickest procedure among the three and can be completed in a matter of under half an hour.
Call us at (562) 304-9548 or schedule an online appointment with Dr. Violet to get the best dental care in Whittier.